You’ve heard of paperwork? This is the EXACT opposite of that.
What I am about to show you is SO SIMPLE, and yet, it is an absolute game-changer for your vision, mobility, and overall physical health.
And I’ll be honest, even your life. Let me explain…
If you have read anything on my site before you will know that the following is true:
- Our bodies require mobility, strength, and coordination.
- Most of us don’t get nearly enough of these 3 in our “normal” daily lives.
This simple game, using just a piece of paper, is the holy grail of movement and mental focus. This game helps you find real FLOW.
Now you can truly flow.
How to Play
- Get a piece of paper.
- Write down some words on it (make them meaningful to you).
- Guide the paper through the air with open hands, draw shapes with your arms, and move your feet underneath you in a series of squats, lunge positions, and, if you’re brave, some get-ups.
- Move slowly without losing or grabbing the paper and gradually speed up.
- Focus on reading the words on the paper.
One of the things I absolutely love about this game is that it forces the wrist and hand to follow a smooth path. And better yet, it encourages the magic figure 8, or infinity pattern. This pattern is seen in martial arts AND in brain rehabilitation. It’s really powerful stuff.
You will help yourself eliminate excess tension from the grip and wrist, as well as mobilize the entire body.
Change your Life (with paperwork!)
We’ve seen how this exercise can change your body and brain in a profound way mechanically, but there’s also a bonus. Remember that I mentioned this could change your life…
Simply writing some meaningful words on the paper achieves 2 things:
- Writing words on the paper gives you a target to focus on, which improves your vision — this is huge. Many people struggle to visually track an object as it moves. If you can focus on the paper without breaking eye contact for a full 30 seconds, you are WAY ahead of the game. Many people struggle to maintain eye contact for just 5-10 seconds.
- You are placing your FOCUS on the important words on the paper. You’ll notice in the video I wrote down the following: Breathe, Smile, Flexible, Strong, Fast, Smooth.
These were reminders of what I wanted to focus on during the movement. But you can put other words on there. On another paper I’ve written gratitude, happy, relax, helpful, thank you, etc.
Many people have a variety of opinions on whether affirmations are effective or not. The science, and practical observation is pretty clear that whatever you focus on the most, grows.
The truth is, I don’t care about what the science says. If you look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself that you are awesome, capable, and happy, then it will have a positive impact. You’ll be more likely to make decisions that are congruent with what you think and say.
This ONE SIMPLE game can have a profound impact in your life, if you choose to do it with focus and intention.
Now, grab a piece of paper, write down what you want to focus on, set a timer for 5 minutes and go have some fun.
ps. If you read my last article you understand the importance of creative movement and it’s impact on the function of your brain. Spoiler alert: Adding this game will supercharge your results!