If you want to do something, you’ll do it. If you don’t, you won’t.
My professional recommendations have gotten smaller and smaller over the years because of a sad reality. People won’t do it. I used to labor over exercise routines and nutritional guidelines only to have it be quickly forgotten, or at the very least, not executed. This has forced me to change my tactics considerably; I’m a realist, and I know that sometimes optimal is not optimal. But I’m
constantly disappointed a hopeful realist. The first step is usually the most difficult, and it can be built upon if a good foundation is laid. So I got to thinking about what the easiest and most efficient use of time was to see a dramatic improvement in quality of life. I looked at overall physical well-being and tried to figure out where we lack the most. I came up with movement quality, which can be linked to pain, depression, and eventually death–and hydration where a water deficit can promote a myriad of health and performance issues.
So last month I decided to start every single day with two LARGE (20oz) cups of water and 5 minutes of Movement Flow.
The results were absolutely fantastic. Body feels great and my morning productivity has skyrocketed–an area where I was lacking before. If this was a big enough impact for me to notice a difference, I just imagine what it would be like for someone who is in desperate need of some additional movement and water in their life.
So here’s what you have to do:
1) Upon waking, drink two LARGE cups of cool water before you take in anything else.
2) Move for 5 minutes in a way that gently pushes your flexibility but keep moving. Don’t worry if you get stuck somewhere, retrace your steps while you think of the next movement. If you’re into martial arts or yoga, throw your own blend of that together. There are plenty of good ideas over at my youtube channel here: Max Shank Youtube
3) COMMIT. Give me 30 days. There should be no excuse in the world that should prevent you from drinking 2 cups of water and moving around for 5 minutes. This is level 1, and from here we lay a foundation for great health and performance. Head over to the 5-Minute Flow Facebook Group to join in the fun!
4) Report: At the end of 30 days, what change do you notice? I would love to hear about it. I’ll also be giving away a free copy of my Bodyweight Fundamentals DVD as well as my soon-to-be-released Movement Flows DVD
5) Keep up the good work, and continue with your morning 5 minutes, Then build on it with other worthwhile things that you can do for yourself.
Better Every Day.